Saturday, December 29, 2012

Cardboard Crazy

So, I've spend a few days knee-deep in glue and cardboard, trying to figure out some good template designs for walls and floors, and I think I'm making good progress. I've also gotten myself a new camera (well, another camera, it's actually a few years old), and once I've gotten around to learning how to use it, maybe I can get a better quality on the photos I take.

In the meantime, a few pics of a "floor" template:

For this floor I want something a little more interesting than "just" squares - while this isn't a "fancy" spaceship, that doesn't mean it can't have some detailing right? So I cut out some square designs from each 4x4 cm tile

I included this shot simply because cutting those squares was rather... mindnumbing, and to show it pre-glue. Still, that's part of a project like this, so no complaints.

Then I glued it onto the room I've chosen for it - making sure to apply an even layer of glue all over the cardboard piece before gluing it down. Eventually I'll drill little holes where each "tile" meets the other, and insert rivets, for the industrial look - I'll make sure to show that when I get around to purchasing some rivets.

A door design. This looks rather... bad this close up, and un-painted, but I think it'll work out fine in the end. My goal here was to get some templates I can use for each of the 24 doors. I'm considering making the "trim" around the edges wider though.

That's not to say that each door will be identical, but a good base to work from is key, and in my case, it sets creativity free, rather than restricting it.

Late Night Addendum:
I decided to do one more room today, this time with a different design - this is where all that time spent templating comes in useful, suddenly doing something like this becomes a breeze.


A little tip: Whenever I cut out parts of a cardboard piece, and especially if I need to remove a significant part of it, I always try to keep it in "one piece" for as long as possible - as soon as I remove parts, it starts to lose strength, and it becomes harder to cut it without tearing or bending it. As you can see in the above images, for this piece I did most of the cutting before "finishing" any of the triangle cut-outs.


And finished! Ah, but have you spotted it?


I was about 5 seconds from a major brainfart here. Due to the wall, 5mm needed to be cut off before gluing - while it's not impossible to remove after it's been glued, it would be a major pain in the ass. But I remembered just in time.. who says there's no suspense when making cardboard spaceships!

And glued in. Like the previous one, this one will be drilled and riveted, just for looks as the glue is more than enough to hold it in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment