Sunday, November 25, 2012

a Crusade in Space

A bit of backstory. You can skip this if you want, it's not relevant except I kinda wanted to write this. For my 10th Birthday (back in 1992!) I wanted the game Hero Quest more than anything. I got it, and it was amazing. My brother and I would play with it, and occasionally even my dad could be persuaded to join in, even though the whole fantastical element wasn't really his cup of tea.

Many years later, when I was grown up (somewhat, at least), a friend brought out the old Hero Quest for a gamenight with the guys, and eventually we turned to Space Crusade. Now this was a game that I had seen at a friends house as a kid, but this friend was the kind of guy who'd smash up the miniatures with a hammer for fun, so we never actually played the game then.

When played with other (reasonably) adult people, it turned out to be excellent fun though, and I decided to paint up some models of my own, rather than use the somewhat dated models that came with the game (the game is from the early 90's after all).

After a while, we stopped playing, but I kind of wanted to get the ball rolling again, and since I have been looking for something to do hobby-wise, I've decided that I want to create a Space Crusade game-board in full 3D (that is, with walls and all). This blog is dedicated to documenting my progress, for my own sake, and for those who'd find this interesting, for one reason or another. I expect this project to take a while, because free-time is not something I have that much of, and I don't want to rush it, or feel it's another job - it'll be something I do when and if I feel like it, and have the time.

box art, courtesy of Google, as I don't have the actual box!


90's era Space Crusade Space Marine - looks good for its age, but model-making technology has advanced and models of today look better - if I can get some decent photos of my own "marines", I might put 'em up too!

No comments:

Post a Comment